40 TIPS FOR SELF STORAGE
Choosing Your Unit:
- Call us to find out what sizes units are available, prices and vacancy information.
- Choose the unit size that best meets your needs.
- Meet with the manager and discuss the price, deposit and rental agreement.
- Ask about security features of the facility (lighting and security gates).
- Get a copy of the contract, contract information, as well as the hours of operation for the facility.
- Inspect the unit that you will be renting. It should be clean, well maintained and secure.
- Make a list of all items you plan to store.
- Purchase a lock when necessary.
- Gather boxes and packing supplies. Remember that you may need
large boxes for lamps and other decorations, blankets or pads for
covering furniture, china cartons for dishes and bubble wrap/fill paper
for packing valuables. (We can sell you boxes!)
- Call the manager of the storage facility and confirm your move-in date and time.
- Make arrangements for transporting your items to the storage facility.
- Use only sturdy boxes and containers for storing your items.
- Label all containers and boxes.
- Fill containers to capacity and fill in space with packing material.
- Pack heavier items in small boxes.
- Secure mirrors, paintings and pictures in mirror boxes and pack them on edge.
- Disassemble lamps, tables, barstools and other furnishings as applicable. Wrap pieces individually and store securely in boxes.
- Wrap wooden table legs and chairs to avoid scratches.
- Cover sofas with blankets or pads so that they do not gather dust, and stack them on end.
- Cover dressers with blankets or pads so you can stack boxes on top.
- Fill drawers and appliances with small items to conserve space.
- Pack books flat and avoid placing them directly on the unit floor (place on a pallet).
- Wrap dishes and other breakables individually, layering padding at the top and bottom of the box.
- Clothing is best stored clean and in hanging cartons.
- Place items in the order that you will need to access them—those
that will be readily used should be placed in the front of the storage
- Before moving in pieces of large furniture, cover the ground with pallets.
- Do not lean furniture against outside walls.
- Place tabletops (well padded) on edge.
- Leave appliance doors cracked open so that moisture does not build within.
- Do not store food—this will attract mice and other pests.
- Arrange boxes so that the labels are facing out and easily read.
- Stack boxes in a manageable manner. Put large, heavy boxes on the bottom.
- Leave a walkway so that you can access your items as needed.
- Do not store flammables.
- Give the storage company proper notice of your intent to move out. Refer to your contract for specific guidelines.
- Remove the top boxes first. Careful—boxed items may have shifted after a prolonged period of time.
- Remove all of your belongings.
- Sweep out the unit and dispose of any trash.
- Secure the unit. Make sure the door is completely shut.
- Return keys to manager.